In addition to being the capital of Alabama, Montgomery also has the fourth-largest metropolitan area with a total population of 374,536, according to 2010 United States Census. Since Montgomery is located in the central area of the state, it is situated on major highways and interstate routes that connect the city to other points across the country. That fact makes it a popular place for drug traffickers who use Montgomery as a point from which to distribute drugs in Alabama, and throughout the rest of the region.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Justice Studies and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Criminology, and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has a resident office located in Montgomery, which operates under the supervision of the larger, regional office located in New Orleans, Louisiana. It is the responsibility of the DEA in Montgomery to take down drug cartels operating in the area by disrupting the trafficking system that operates in and around the city.
DEA Drug Busts in Montgomery, Alabama
The following is a short list of some of the largest, most significant and most recent drug bust and sting operations conducted by the Montgomery DEA with help from local law enforcement officials and other federal agencies:
- March 2013: Three residents of Montgomery County were arrested as part of a nationwide drug bust conducted by multiple branches of the DEA. More than $45 million worth of marijuana was seized in total. All of the people involved were indicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison.
- December 2009: The DEA in Montgomery arrested one of the largest known drug dealers in the state, and perhaps even the region, according to officials. More than 35 kilos (about 77 pounds) or powder cocaine was found in the man’s home, with an estimated street value of more than $30 million. It is believed the man received the cocaine from drug smugglers working for a major drug cartel operating in Mexico and parts of Southern and Central America.
Montgomery DEA Jobs and Careers
When an applicant is considering how to become a DEA agent in Montgomery by meeting basic requirements, they must also possess experience in one of the following areas:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.95 GPA, or a LL. B., master’s or J.D. degree (no GPA requirement)
- Must have extensive experience in performing narcotics and drug bust operations
- Must have at least three years of experience in maritime/ piloting, engineering, accounting/ auditing or fluency in a foreign language and a bachelor’s degree (no GPA requirement)