Albany, the capital city of New York, is located about 140 miles north of New York City and about 200 miles from Montreal, Canada, both of which make the drug trafficking and distribution trade here an all-too-common occurrence.
The presence of the DEA in Albany is therefore an important one, as is evident from recent DEA headlines:
- November 2012: An individual was sentenced to prison for his involvement in a marijuana conspiracy. The individual, who pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute more than 100 kilograms of marijuana, was part of a larger conspiracy to traffic marijuana from the West Coast to various points along the East Coast. The investigation was carried out by the DEA, the New York State Police, the Quad City Metropolitan Enforcement Group, and the Illinois State Police, among others.
- February 2012: Sixteen individuals were indicted by a federal grand jury in the Northern District of Albany for their involvement in a crack cocaine and heroin distribution organization that included a drug pipeline that ran from Hawthorn, New Jersey to the Albany region.
- May 2011: Twenty-five “Four Block Gang” members were charged with racketeering and narcotics conspiracies.
- December 2011: Twelve individuals were arrested for their role in a cocaine drug trafficking organization. About 2 ounces of cocaine and 5 pounds of marijuana were seized as part of the investigation.
- July 2011: A meth lab was dismantled in an Albany residential community, resulting in the arrest of two individuals.
Albany DEA Jobs: How to Become a DEA Agent in Albany
All candidates for DEA jobs must undergo a written assessment, a physical task assessment, a psychological assessment, a drug test, a background investigation, and a polygraph examination.
Minimum employment requirements for DEA careers must be considered, as well. In particular, all candidates must:
- Be Between the ages of 21 and 36
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Education/Experience Requirements for DEA Special Agent Jobs in Albany
Individuals who want to learn how to become a DEA agent in Albany must meet at least ONE of the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 2.9
- An LLB or JD degree
- A bachelor’s degree (no minimum GPA) and at least 3 years of specialized experience in such areas as accounting, foreign language, telecommunications, or engineering
- Extensive experience in evidence collection; undercover operations; or drugs/narcotics
Individuals can obtain additional information on DEA careers and requirements in Albany by contacting the Albany DEA Resident Office at 518-782-2000.