The city of Monroe, Louisiana is the ninth-largest city in the state, with a population of more than 48,000, according to the 2010 United States Census. While the city of Monroe itself is not as populated as many of the areas in the state of Louisiana, it is still a very heavily trafficked area. The city is located in the Northernmost portion of Louisiana, which is a major corridor for agriculture and the transportation of other goods going from East to West. Unfortunately, the high traffic also makes the Monroe area an attractive corridor for drug traffickers looking to move their goods into that major metropolitan areas of Louisiana, as well into other places like Atlanta, Georgia and the big cities located in the state of Florida.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Justice Studies and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Criminology, and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
It is the responsibility of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in Monroe to deter drug traffickers and dealers in the area. The DEA does not have an official resident office located in Monroe, but they do have a post of duty, which consists of a small number of agents. The largest drug problems in Monroe involve crystal meth, crack cocaine and prescription pills, but marijuana is also used heavily in the area and powder cocaine is also common. Drugs like heroin and psychedelics are not as common, but are still used in small quantities in the area.
Monroe DEA Jobs and Careers
When an applicant is considering becoming a DEA agent they must first consider how to become a DEA agent in Monroe by meeting requirements. Upon meeting requirements, the applicants must complete a series of interviews, examinations and other criteria before moving onto the final process. After completing the hiring process, applicant must then consider how to become a DEA agent in Monroe through training.
DEA Busts and Seizures in Monroe, Louisiana
Since the DEA presence in Monroe, Louisiana is not as large as it is in other areas of the state, the primary duties of the agents are to assist local and federal authorities in the investigation and apprehension of drug dealers, smugglers and traffickers. The following is a list of some of the largest and most recent drug busts in Monroe by the DEA:
- April 2013: A routine traffic stop in Monroe lead to the arrest of two suspects and the seizure of more than $10 million worth of cocaine. The two individuals that were arrested had connections to a Mexican drug cartel, and the drugs are suspected of being smuggled from across the border.
- September 2010: A year-long investigation lead to the busting up of a crack cocaine drug ring that spanned across the state, but was based in Monroe, Louisiana. Thirteen people were arrested in connection with the ring and it is believed that the ring was responsible for selling more than 15 kilos of crack cocaine a week. One kilo of cocaine costs approximately $28,000. It was the largest drug ring bust in Monroe since the late 1990’s.