The Shreveport metropolitan population is more than 398,000 and is the third largest area in the state of Louisiana. The urban nature of Shreveport, Louisiana makes it a troublesome area when considering drug trafficking and distribution. The largest drug problems in the area are marijuana and cocaine in the urban cores, crystal meth in the rural outskirts of the city and prescription pills in the more affluent suburbs of the city of Shreveport, Louisiana. It is the duty of the Shreveport Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to curb the distribution of drugs in the city and surrounding areas by making arrests, seizing illegal narcotics and performing drug busts in order to disrupt the trafficking system, which typically operates among the drug corridors along the Interstate highways that line the entire state in every direction.
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Capella University - 100% online criminal justice degree programs and is proud to be partnered with the FBI National Academy Associates (FBINAA).
The city of Shreveport, Louisiana is home to one of two resident DEA offices in the state, and operates under the supervision of the larger division office which is located in New Orleans, Louisiana. The DEA in Shreveport typically works with local law enforcement and other federal agencies in order to perform large-scale investigations that seek to take drugs off the streets of the city.
Shreveport DEA Activity
The following is a list of some of the activities performed by the Shreveport DEA:
- January 2013: A routine traffic stop lead to the arrest of one man who was in possession of 39 grams of cocaine. A search warrant lead to more arrests, which totaled five in all. In total, the Shreveport DEA seized numerous grams of cocaine (both in powder and crack forms,) illegal firearms, dozens of grams of marijuana and almost a pound of crystal meth.
- February 2012: A man was arrested and is believed to be a large-scale drug dealer in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. More than $100,000 in drug were seized when the man was arrested, which included more than one pound of cocaine. Four people were arrested in connection with the drug dealer, and DEA officials claimed that they arrested one of the largest drug suppliers in the three-state region and that it was a blow to the cocaine market in all three states.
Shreveport DEA Jobs and Careers
When applicants are considering obtaining a job with the Shreveport DEA, they must first think about how to become a DEA agent in Shreveport by meeting requirements. The requirements include, but are not limited to the following:
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 36 years old
- Must be willing to relocate to any DEA office in the United States, and outlying territories
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be in good physical condition
Also, applicants must consider how to become a DEA agent in Shreveport through training.